Vegetarian Pho is extremely delicious and highly nutritious especially if you are someone who loves fresh herbs.
Serving Size: 6 people
Ingredients for Broth:
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 8-10 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (get the one that comes with low-sodium)
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms (dried ones)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 small cinnamon sticks
- 6 cilantro stems (keep the leaves for the soup)
- 6 basil stems (again keep the leaves for soup)
- 10 thin strips of ginger (each strip should be around ¼ inches)
Ingredients for Pho:
- Tainan Thin Noodles - Original Flavor
- 2 cups soybean sprouts
- 2 cups watercress
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- 500 grams thinly sliced baked tofu
- A bunch of basil leaves
- 1 lime cut into thin pieces
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- The first thing that you have to do is prepare the veg broth, for which you need a large pot.
- Add 8 cups of water to the pot and bring it to boil on medium heat. Then add sliced shallots, crushed garlic, soy sauce, shiitake mushrooms, black pepper, rice wine vinegar, star anise, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and other important broth ingredients in the pot.
- Cover the pot and then allow the ingredients to simmer on medium to low heat for 1 hour. After that, you need to separate the veggies from the broth, which can be done with the help of a strainer. Discard the veggies collected on the strainer and keep the broth aside.
- Now you have to prepare the Pho, for which you need to cook the noodles first. Make sure that you cook the noodles according to package instructions and then drain them effectively. If you like you can also rinse the noodles under cold water.
- Then take soup bowls and add cooked noodles into them effectively. After that, you need to pour the broth over the noodles and then add sprouts, and tofu in the bowls. Here you can also add green onions and watercress in the bowls. Finally garnish the soup with basil leaves, lime wedges, and cilantro before you serve it to your guests.